Steampunk Squid (Illustration Friday & Sweet Square #4)
|© 2012 Sylvia Liu|
(1) It's my fourth entry for Sweet Squares, a 30-day challenge to draw or create something every day. So far I've been on a cephalod kick, drawing a nautilus, octopus, and kraken, and adding some fun facts. Here are my squid facts:
- Squid ink has long been used in art. Scientists even were able to reconstitute 150 million-year old ink from fossilized remains of a squid to draw a picture of the ancient creature.
- Squid have 8 arms and 2 feeding tentacles, unlike octopi, which only have 8 arms (or legs)
- Squid swim using jet propulsion
(2) It's my entry for Illustration Friday's prompt, "Imagination." I've always been taken by steampunk, the alternate history fantasy sub-genre that has been described as futuristic stories set in a steam-powered, Victorian-era world. I guess this squid might be comfortable in that world. (In keeping with the theme, I watercolored the background color using brewed tea).
If you liked this post, you may also like: